X2
I went to see the new X-Men movie with the my two ex-janitor buds from Covt. Seminary. It was one of the better superhero action movies. X2 didn't have the simple moral power of Spiderman (i.e., "With great power comes great responsibility) nor did it have Spidey's moral clarity. In Spiderman evil is clearly defined (although the Green Goblin's evil acts are somewhat explained as a psychological dual between two competing natures within). But in X2 the division between good and evil is blurred. The "bad guy mutants" and the "good guy mutants" must unite for a time because they have common cause. Wolverine leaves his arch-enemy to die rather than freeing him.
I thought it was interesting how the X-Men's defense against the U.S. government's acts (led by arch-villian William Stryker) was labelled a "war," invoking echoes of a "just war" theory. Wolverine's brutal slaughter of the special ops troops at the beginning can be explained according to the "war against the mutants" in which the mutants are right to defend themselves.
In the end, though, Prof. X and Magneto do stand at polar ends. Magneto is the Machiavellian, the one who will do anything to advance the cause of "evolution" and mutants' rights. Prof. X believes in diplomacy and tolerance. Hence X-Men becomes a message in pc: why can't everyone just get along.
I was wondering why I haven't seen anyone raise a stink about the name: X-Men. Shouldn't Martha Burke be angry about how un-pc this name is? Shouldn't it be the fabulously titled X-People. I mean, after all, there are two women in the X-Men not to mention Rogue, who always seems to tag along.
T. Chris @ 7:43 AM
0 Comment(s)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
|